With a proud heritage from the Dhoebaw Clan of the Guda Maluilgal nations (Top Western Torres Strait Region – Dauan Island) and the Argan tribe of the Maluilgal nations (Near Western Torres Strait Region – Badu Island), Mau Power is the first Traditional – Hip Hop act to emerge out of the Torres Strait and break out on the Australian music scene. Delivering a dynamic showcase of Torres Strait culture, language and dance fused with lyrical poetry and influences of Hip Hop, it is safe to say Mau Power has been doing great things, and the plan is to continue to represent his people & culture on a global scale.
Building a repertoire of highlight performances which includes; The Opening Ceremony of the 2018 Commonwealth games, USA – (SXSW) South by Southwest music festival, A standout London Show, multiple national tours and the Incredible Soul Fest, Mau Power has surely made an impact in the Australian Music Scene. It is the art of storytelling that embodies the connection of two cultures that makes Mau Power a truly unique Australian act with universal appeal.
In recent times Mau Power, has performed at countless shows across the country, as well as internationally.
Some performances include:
• Commonwealth Games opening Ceremony 2018
• Commonwealth Festival 2018
• USA – South by Southwest (SXSW) music festival 2018
• First Nations Origins Festival 2017
• Yalukit St. Kilda 2017
• St. Kilda Festival 2017
• Cairns Indigenous Arts Fair 2017
• Adelaide Fringe Festival 2017
• APRA/AMCOS Event Sydney 2016
• Recognise Australia Gala Event Sydney 2016
• Raintrees Tavern Cairns 2016
• Big Tok One Fire Cairns 2016
• Festival Of Pacific Arts in Guam 2016 (Australian Delegate)
• Australia Day performance on “The Rocks” Sydney 2016
• Produced and performed in the “Sing Strong” Theatre show Cairns 2015
• National Tour (East Coast)
• London show – First Nations Festival 2015
• Played with a 120 piece orchestra at the G20 Cultural Summit 2015
• Yabun festival – His performance was also played on national TV
• St. Kilda festival 2015 – performed on the closing day
• Mabo Day Celebrations in Melbourne
• Supported Hip Hop great O.C
• Supported the legendary A.G
• Played at Zulu Nation Australia 9 year anniversary
• The Long Walk 10 Year Anniversary at the Myer Music Bowl
• Express Yourself – A TV performance for an NITV & SBS exclusive
• Headlined UMI Arts 2014
• Played at Big Fire One Talk 2014
• Played at CIAF 2014
• He was also interviewed on Triple J’s Hip Hop show as a featured artist
• Interviewed on Triple J’s Unearthed, performed live on Radio National, & appeared on many other TV & radio interviews.
• Videos played on Rage
Other Performances Include:
• Soul Fest | Mau Power played at this prestigious event, sharing the stage with & supporting acts like Common, Mos Def Maxwell, D’Angelo, Angie Stone, Aloe Black & many more
Other Highlight Achievements:
An International Songwriting Competition (ISC) recognition for his song “Freedom” (Featuring Indigenous legend Archie Roach).