VOICES OF REMEMBRANCE CONCERTS
The Queensland Government, in partnership with Queensland Music Festival, is proud to present Voices of Remembrance, a statewide choral program that encourages communities across Queensland to commemorate the centenary of the signing of the Armistice through music.
Directed by Daniel Evans and under the musical and choral direction of Dr Jonathon Welch AM, the concerts will include a world premiere from composer Gordon Hamilton and feature performances by award winning songstress and QMF Artistic Director Katie Noonan, and renowned New Zealand baritone Teddy Tahu Rhodes.
Choirs will have the opportunity to join the stars on stage for the Voices of Remembrance musical performances by auditioning to be part of a 200-strong mass choir at either of the concerts. Accompanying our mass choir at each event, will also be a core choir of 30 individuals. The core choir will have the opportunity to perform the international premiere of Gordon Hamilton’s new choral work and selected repertoire from the First World War.
Auditions for the mass and core choirs and the orchestras have now closed.
VOICES OF REMEMBRANCE CREATIVES
A special thanks to our Voices of Remembrance Creatives
Conductor – Patrick Pickett
Soloist – Katie Noonan
Soloist – Teddy Tahu Rhodes
MC – Michael Tuahine
Researcher/Writer/Director – Daniel Evans
Musical Director/Choral Director – Jonathon Welch
Composer/Associate Choral Director – Gordon Hamilton
Lighting Designer – Jason Glenwright
Audio Engineer – Geoff McGahan
Cairns mass and core choirs
Toowoomba mass and core choirs
PERFORM IN YOUR COMMUNITY
In addition to the concerts, choirs across Queensland are encouraged to learn the Voices of Remembrance concert repertoire and perform in their local communities in the lead up to, or in conjunction with their Remembrance Day services. QMF will equip you with all the information to make sure your Voices of Remembrance concert is a success.
Here’s some important information to help plan your event:
- Ensure your concert is held between 11 October and 11 November 2018 (inclusive).
- Talk to your local RSL about the possibility of your community choir performing at the Club or as part of their Remembrance Day services on 11 November 2018.
- Apply for a performance licence (refer to licensing information below).
- If you are stuck for event titles, we recommend the following: “[Insert Choir Name] Voices of Remembrance”
- Register your event on the Anzac Centenary website so we can share it on our social media
- Keep us in the loop by tagging Queensland Music Festival in your socials and hashtag #qmf18 #voicesofremembrance
- Register your interest below for updates.
Mount Isa Community Ensembles
Mount Isa Civic Centre Lawns
Sunday 11th November, 12pm
Jubilee Park, Beaudesert
Sun 11th November, 10:30am
Biloela State School Choir
Biloela State School Hall
Fri 9th November, 10:15am
Serenata Singers Inc
Uniting Church Auditorium, The Gap
Sat 3rd November, 7:30pm
Greater Gympie Remembrance Choir
Memorial Park, River Rd Gympie
Sat 10th November, 4pm
Atherton Performing Arts Choir
Memorial Park, Yungaburra
Sun 11th November, 9:30am
Redland Rhapsody Chorus
Anzac Centenary Park, Cleveland
Sun 11th November, 10:30am
Seachange Clubhouse, Emerald Lakes
Sun 11th November, 11am
Access Arts Choir
Stores Bldg, Brisbane Powerhouse
Sat 1st December, 3pm
Caboolture Community Choir
Great Northern Garden of Remembrance
Fri 30th November, 6pm
Charters Towers Choristers and CKs (Chorister Kids)
More details to follow
1 July 2018 – Online Auditions for Mass and Core Choirs Close
9 July 2018 – Successful Applicants for Mass Choirs and Core Choir Announced
9 July 2018 – Repertoire Available Online
June / August / October – Choral Workshops in Brisbane, Toowoomba and Cairns
11 October – 11 November 2018 – Community Choral Performances Across Queensland
9 November 2018 – Toowoomba Voices of Remembrance Concert
10 November 2018 – Cairns Voices of Remembrance Concert
1. Are the arrangements acapella?
The arrangement provided for rehearsal is acapella with accompaniment.
2. What type of arrangements will be available for my choir?
The arrangements for all involved community choirs will be unison arrangements. For individuals who are successful in being part of the core choir, these arrangements will be SATB.
3. My choir has 100 singers, will we all be selected for the mass choir?
Because the mass choir is made up of 200 voices, an equal representation of voice types (Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Bass) drawn from various choirs will be selected.
4. What is the dress code for the finale event?
The official dress code will be smart casual. We will let you know specific details closer to the event.
5. What is the rehearsal schedule before the concert?
There will be one Dress Rehearsal at each venue before the concert, we will advise when this will be closer to the date. The rest of the rehearsals will be entirely up to you and your choir! We hope you will be able to incorporate rehearsals into your current schedule.
6. How can I access the music scores and guide tracks for the concert?
If involved in Voices of Remembrance you will be emailed with a link to the dropbox folder with the arrangements, lyric sheets and guide track MP3’s to help you rehearse. You need to register as a participating choir or individual to access the music scores and guide tracks. Auditions for the core and mass choir are now closed.
7. My choir has been selected as one of the choirs to perform live at the concert – how do I get there and where do I stay?
You will need to arrange your own transport and accommodation for the concert/s. We will advise of bus drop off points for each venue closer to the concert/s.
8. I have been selected to be part of the core choir – how do I get there and where do I stay?
You will need to arrange your own transport and accommodation for the concert/s.
9. I am in one of the choirs who have been selected to perform live at a concert, but I also want to audition for the core choir – can I be in both?
Yes! If you are selected to be a part of the core choir you are automatically a part of the mass choir. The core choir is embedded in the mass choir. There are a few moments during the concert where the core choir steps out and performs a few more complex songs separate from the mass choir. Auditions for the core choir are now closed.